Visit the BCNS Forms Overview page for a complete list of downloadable forms and applications.
Step 1: Degree & Coursework
The required degree and coursework must be complete before submitting the application.
Step 2: Practice Experience
RD Candidates must complete the following 3 requirements to apply to sit for the examination:
- Submit documentation of completion of dietetic internship (RD registration will fulfill this requirement); and
- Submit one PN Case Data Collection for the same case study occurring within the past 5 years; and
- Submit 75 Continuing Education credits in personalized nutrition obtained within the past 5 years
Step 3: Examination
Once you have completed your Eligibility Requirements (Degree and Coursework) Complete the Exam Application
Certification Examinations for Nutrition Specialists℠ are held twice a year in June and December.
The next CNS exam will be held December 9 - 13, 2023; applications are due October 27, 2023.
2024 CNS Exams:
June 8-12, 2024
December 7-11, 2024
We are pleased to announce that we have partnered with a testing center and now have the ability to offer hundreds of testing centers across the country so that candidates won't have to travel. There will be a nominal fee, paid directly to the test center.
Upon your application approval to sit for the CNS exam, details will be sent to you so you can arrange for your local test center.
Here is a list of the current test centers, and they will be adding even more in the coming weeks.
The CNS application fee is $100. Upon approval to sit for the exam, the exam fee is $300. Fees are paid though the Portal.
* Effective July 1, 2023 - CNS Examination Fee increases to $400, effective for the December 2023 Examination.
You now have the ability to download forms and upload completed forms directly through My Portal!
Navigate to the Forms page under Certifications and select or upload the appropriate form.
You must submit the following documents to apply to sit:
- CNS Exam Application (submitted to your portal)
- Exam Application Fee ($100)
- Official Transcripts (sent by the school to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Two Letters of Recommendation (sent by writer to email@example.com)
- CV or Resume (submitted to your portal)
- PN Data Collection Form (submitted to your portal)
- Proof 75 CEUs (submitted to your portal)
- CDR (submitted to your portal)
Candidates who pass the examination and complete the practice experience requirements will be granted the Certified Nutrition Specialist® credential.