Where can I access more detailed information about the Ketogenic Training Program options?
For detailed comparison information about the Foundational and Advanced Ketogenic Nutrition Training program, see the Program Overview.
Do I need to take the Foundational Ketogenic Training Program first?
No, you will either take the Foundational Ketogenic Nutrition Training Program or the Advanced Ketogenic Nutrition Training Program, not both. Modules 1-2 that make up the Foundational program are included in the Advanced program.
I want to begin by taking the Foundational Training program first. If I decide to take the Advanced Ketogenic Training program later, can I be credited for the completion of Modules 1-2 and the money I have already paid?
Unfortunately, this option is not possible. We encourage all learners to carefully consider which option is ideal for them before registering for a program. See the Program Overview for detailed comparison information.
How long will it take to complete the program?
- For the Foundational program, it’s estimated to take 16 hours to complete required learning materials. You will have 3 months to complete both modules.
- For the Advanced program, it’s estimated to take 56 hours to complete required learning materials. You will have 6 months to complete all 6 modules.
Are there time restrictions for registration or course completion?
Both programs offer open enrollment and can be started at any time. Once you register, you will have 3 months to complete the Foundational Ketogenic Nutrition program or 6 months to complete the Advanced Ketogenic Nutrition program.
I’m unable to fund the program all at once. Are there any payment plan options?
Unfortunately, this option is not available. Once you begin the course, you’ll have access to all materials. Because we don’t have the ability to issue partial access to the course, there are no options other than to pay for the course in full.
What background is recommended for each program?
- Foundational Ketogenic Nutrition Training Program: There are no prerequisites for this program, although a background in science or biochemistry is preferred. It is open to anyone who registers.
- Advanced Ketogenic Nutrition Training Program: This program is intended for individuals who have a strong background in nutrition assessment, nutrition therapy, and biochemistry. It’s designed for nutritionists and other licensed health care professionals who have nutrition in their legal scope of practice.
Can I earn continuing education credits for the programs offered?
Completion of the course may entitle you to the following continuing education (CE) credits approved by the Board for Certification of Nutrition Specialists (BCNS℠):
- Foundational Ketogenic Nutrition - 16 CEs
- Advanced Ketogenic Nutrition - 56 CEs
Do I automatically receive a certification once I complete the Advanced Nutrition Ketogenic program?
No. You will receive a certificate of completion for the training program, but this is not the same as a certification. Upon successful completion of the Advanced Ketogenic Nutrition Training Program, you will be eligible to apply for the Certified Ketogenic Nutrition Specialist (CKNS℠) credential. Please note: The CKNS℠ credential is offered by the Board for Certification of Nutrition Specialists (BCNS℠), which is separate from the American Nutrition Association (ANA).
What is required to become a Certified Ketogenic Nutrition Specialist (CKNS℠)?
- Candidates will be required to meet eligibility requirements, including successful completion of the Advanced Ketogenic Nutrition Training Program AND one of the following:
- Certified Nutrition Specialist (CNS®) in good standing OR
- Registered Dietician Nutritionist (RDN) credential or licensed/certified as a dietitian/nutritionist (LDN/CDN) OR
- Doctoral degree in nutrition, dietetics, medicine or health-related field from a U.S. regionally accredited college or university, or its foreign equivalent OR
- Licensed Healthcare Professional in the U.S. with nutrition in the legal scope of practice including MD, DO, DC, ND, NP, RN, PharmD, Doctor of Nursing, or foreign equivalency.
- Passing score on the CKNS℠ examination, which is offered twice per year in March and September.
Are there any continuing education requirements once I become certified as a CKNS℠?
Yes, you will be required to complete 30 continuing education (CE) credits every five years to recertify with the BCNS℠. Recertification fees also apply. Learn more about the Certified Ketogenic Nutrition Specialist℠ credential.
How do I contact someone about these programs?
If you need additional information about the Foundational or Advanced Ketogenic Nutrition Training programs, please email us at Training@theana.org.
Do you permit refunds or transfers to another course or individual?
No, there are no refunds issued, and we're unable to transfer funds or credits to another course or individual.
Why isn’t my username or password working? It says I’m not a member, but I have paid for the program.
Ensure that you are logging into the Learning Management System for the program, and not the American Nutrition Association (ANA) Member Portal. If you have further questions, contact us at Training@theana.org.